Councelling session at ORKID
In recent times there has been an increase in awareness regarding children with special needs. Most schools, teachers and parents are aware of children with different abilities and accept the fact that all children don't learn in the same manner. These special needs include not only physical disabilities but also intellectual and socio-emotional disabilities. The importance of mental health is steadily coming to the forefront with the focus shifting from pure academics to the overall health of the child.
However, there is still a lack of practical education for teachers of children with Special Needs in India. Many students are failing in the classroom because they have special educational needs which are not being met by the teacher. There are academic courses at the post-graduate level but they don’t meet the needs of the vast number of teachers who are unable to take time off to complete an academic course.
- Orkids will work with a clinical approach within the school premises; taking care of identifying children, assessing them and planning their remediation programs.
- Student identification will be based on classroom observation, teacher and parent feedback and work samples of the child concerned.
- The child will be required to come for sessions during school hours
depending on the IEP. The teachers are expected to be participate in making
the schedule of the remedial sessions.
- Assessment will be followed to clarify need for further clinical investigation.
- On recommendation for Special Education services, the child will be initiated into a remedial program.
- Teachers will be apprised of the accommodations the child needs in the
classroom and will be required to follow up on it.
- All remedial programs are based on a one-to-one interaction unless group interaction is advised.
- Each child has an I.E.P (Individual Education Plan) which sets goals and targets for each month based on the child’s functional level.
- Each session for the child is planned on the basis of the I.E.P.
- At the end of the month each Goal Sheet is assessed to check for accomplishments of the child.
- The evaluation will be done after the prescribed time and modifications
made if required.
- The advantage of a clinic set up ensures availability of other services like Speech, Language and Occupational Therapy under one roof. It ensures maximum benefit to a child as all the professionals concerned with the child work in optimum co-ordination.